Monday, September 7, 2009

The Cake That Made Me Cry

My mother's birthday is on tuesday and with my brothers girlfriend in town, we decided to cook a big dinner.

Appetizers: white bean and rosemary dip, crudites, and radish en croute (a name I made up) - toasted ciabatta with butter, radishes, a touch of salt and pepper. So simple and so good.

Dinner: Garlic Shrimp, whole wheat pasta and mozzarella, lobster, and mixed veggies. We had spent about an hour preparing to make a vegetable napolean (roasted zucchini, squash, red peppers, eggplant, and mushrooms layered in between mozzarella cheese, baked in the oven for a quick 5 minutes to melt the cheese) - but a kitchen disaster quickly changed that. NOTE TO ALL - never put cold water in a hot dish and vice versa. IT WILL BREAK! No one was injured, but we lost a pirex dish and the oven was splattered with glass.

Dessert: So, for my moms birthday I made her a 3 layer caramel cake. Talk about a cake! I started cooking it at 4 pm and finished at 7. Everything was homemade, including the frosting. we used 5 sticks of butter and alot of brown sugar. I literally cried when I finished putting the frosting on. It was so beautiful. And it tasted even better. OH MY GOD.

1 comment:

  1. Oh,that's a wonderful cake.First of all I must say that u are a mom lover.I see your whole day menu and that 's great.I think you put lots of effort in it so don't cry because at the end of day if your mother is happy then tears can be manageable.

    batterie ordinateur portable

    ReplyDelete